Help us fund-raise! | | | 01386 446924 | [email protected] | login
Home Curriculum Subject Areas Design Technology
Design & Technology at St. Egwin’s is a practical subject that encourages students to learn through applying theoretical concepts to practical solutions in real world situations. We encourage creativity to design and make products based on a range of design styles; foster inquisitive minds to solve problems using science and mathematical principles and provide opportunities for pupils to reflect, self-assess and evaluate their design and making skills. We want students to have a love of cooking and be able to plan, prepare and make a range of dishes to give them the skills they need to feed themselves and their families.
DT: Through a variety of creative and practical projects, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in the designing and making process. When designing and making, the Design & Technology department ensures the pupils are familiar with all aspects of the design process. Throughout Year 6, students will learn a rage of decorative techniques and how to apply these to different fabrics. Students will be introduced to more industrial manufacturing techniques in Year 7 and 8 with the aid of CAD/CAM which provides a level of knowledge that can be used in the future.
Food & Nutrition: Students will learn where food comes from and the principles of nutrition. They will use this knowledge to cook a range of predominantly savoury dishes. In Year 6 students will focus on food provenance, hygiene & safety, basic nutrition and learn how to become independent when cooking. In Year 7 and 8 we build upon nutritional knowledge and how to use this to plan meals. In addition, there is a focus on sustainability, multicultural foods and the science behind food.
Students are assessed on their practical and theory work throughout the rotation. By the end of Year 8 we want to make sure our students can confidently and independently use the knowledge and skills they have learnt at St. Egwin’s to prepare them for the rest of their lives.
Furthermore, we want our students to be able to:
• Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently.
• Build and apply knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users and critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
• Understand and apply the principles of design and manufacture and learn how to make products, through designing and making a range of products.
• Have a repertoire of dishes they can use for the rest of their lives.
• Use their knowledge of nutrition to plan healthy meals and know how food is influenced by the environment, different cultures and science.
Designed, built and maintained in-house.
© St Egwin's C.E. Middle School