Update for families Friday 28th May 2021
1. Rates of infection locally have started to show some signs of increasing and we have to make sure we are playing our part in keeping transmission to low levels. We hope the 21/6 relaxations, that are planned, are going to be on track when the government next review their progress.
2. Our attendance is well above the national figure. We are currently at 95.5%.
3. The government and local authority are advising us to avoid making too many changes to the arrangements in school:
Breakfast club cannot restart yet due to the guidance on mixing bubbles. We plan to support families through provision of a snack.
4. What might change in June/July?
5. Answering your questions on assessment: How do we know where the kids are, what the gaps are, and how to we address these?
6. What are we planning for September?
7. Provisional plans for the end of the year: we are very excited and optimistic about the last part of the school year. We have been busily planning in no end of fun stuff (e.g. sports day and an amazing Y8 leavers’ experience). I’ve seen the calendar: sports days, theme days around science, off-site trips to the woods for some Y6s, Y8s taking part in a geography field trip off-site, overnight Y8 camping fun bouncy castle day, European Champs fun activities, valedictory assembly/service, picnic fun, Y8 hoodies and transfer day. It looks even funkier than normal!
8. Reminder about testing at home: Remember: if anyone in the household tests positive with the LFD tests, please immediately book a PCR/community test.
9. Over the holiday, please report cases to us on [email protected]
10. Tuck at break time is back and is really popular – cheese on toast looks amazing! Next week the rota for KS3 looks like 87878 across the 5 days.
11. Teams calls for more road map information: following on from the success of the Zoom calls last year, we will offer a series of calls with key staff to help you understand better the restrictions and plans for the next term. Thank you for the response from families: dates and times of Teams meetings will be sent out soon.
12. It’s week 2 when we return from half-term. Remember, they’ll still be coming into school in PE kit on the days they have PE or sports clubs.
13. Numbers were up at the last two parent/carer evenings (on Teams). Thank you to so many families that have supported the school community with their actions, and their kind words.
14. Cricket club with my Y6s was fab even though the weather hasn’t been great for us! So nice to get back to after-school clubs and that relaxed and fun way of spending time together. Some clubs are happening now.
15. I have been encouraged by the Head and Deputy Boys and Girls to adopt the “Headteacher’s Charity” for this year. I’ll run the London Marathon for the school, for the charity. 11 miles planned for tomorrow morning. Eeeek!